The story of Mysore Association began on a sunny Sunday in February 1926, when in Girgaum five professionals from Mysore, met to create a platform to meet the cultural aspirations of Mysoreans in Bombay.
Diwan Bahadur K. Ramaswamy became the first president and the “Mysore Association” was formally inaugurated on the 15th of August 1926 by Prof. Subba Rao, Vice-chancellor of the University of Mysore, in a rented premises.
In 1932, the BMC gave a plot in Dadar-Matunga estate on a perpetual lease. It is thus the first building of the Association - “Vanivilas Hall” - was constructed in 1934 at a total cost of Rs. 12,000 from members’ contribution, that too in the years’ global depression.
The building was further expanded, first in 1941, in 1944, then again in 1969 and 1998. The Auditorium, which had been the dream of many of our yester year artists has risen from all their toils and dreams.
During the eighties a full-fledged Auditorium was planned under the leadership of Shri. A. Nagabhushana Rao, president and renowned construction Expert. The final edifice as it stands today is a testimony to the efforts of 5 generations. This was at a cost of Rs.1.2crores. A number of persons are responsible for the building construction at various stages.
During these decades many dignitaries visited the Association beginning with their Highness Shri. Krishnarajendra Wodeyar and Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in 1930s followed by Shri. Arcot Ramaswamy Mudaliar, Sir. Mirza Ismail, Sir. M. Visveswaria and others.
The Mysore Association is an Association of professionals drawn from various fields E